Instagram’s new Nametag feature opens up a world of possibilities when it comes to marketing your business on Instagram! The Nametag acts like a QR code… simply present it to a future follower, have them scan it, and then they can instantly follow you! No more spelling out your name meticulously, or making sure the hyphens or underscores are perfectly placed. Using Victoria King Photography‘s Instagram as an example, here’s how it works:
- Go to your profile. On the top right you will see the three lines. Click those three lines, and a menu will pop down. Select “Nametag”. (The menu may vary if you have a personal account opposed to a business account)
- Once you click Nametag, you will get a screen with your handle, and on the middle top you are given a choice of a background. You can choose a background ranging from a pattern of an emoji, to a selfie, and a gradient of colors. We chose the camera emoji, since it’s an instagram page for a photographer.
- Now that you have your Nametag set up, it’s time to find some new followers. If you meet a potential follower, and would like them to follow you, the easiest way we’ve found, is open up your nametag using the steps above, have them follow the same steps above, but then have them click the “Scan a nametag” function.
- Scanning a name tag is very similar to scanning a QR code, and once you get to the “Scan a nametag” screen it should look like this:
- Once you’ve aligned the scanner’s square with the nametag’s square you will get an image like this that will give you the option to follow the page or view the profile.
Pretty easy, right? So why would something so easy be so important?
- The future of social media is moving away from text to images, and then to video. The Instagram platform allows for both images and video. Why not encourage future clients to join in on a platform that benefits the future direction of social media?
- How many times have you asked someone for their username, and said you would follow them, but never followed through? My biggest fear of doing sales was being too pushy/forward, but this is an easy way to say “Hey, let me make it easy to follow me.”
- It’s a great way to advertise at conferences, booths, etc. Print out your nametag and post on your booth! It is helpful to provide a little information on how the user can scan it incase they’re not up-to-date. Here’s an example of a poster you could use it at a conference:
- You could also use the image of your Nametag on your Twitter and Facebook to increase your Instagram following! The studies behind social media prove that users like photos and video!